Work at the Michigan Nature Association
Winter 2018: Environmental Communications/Journalism Internships
The Michigan Nature Association is the first and only non-governmental land trust focused on the state of Michigan. For more than 65 years, MNA has worked to protect more than 10,000 acres of special natural areas throughout the state, so future generations can enjoy the diversity of life found there.
MNA is currently looking for qualified candidates to join our communications team at our home office in Okemos, Michigan (about 10 miles east of East Lansing). Preferred applicants are currently enrolled in an undergraduate college or university program in journalism, public relations or communications, but other qualified candidates will be accepted. Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills are a must, and our interns must be independent, motivated workers.
Interns will be supervised by MNA's Outreach & Communications Coordinator. This is an unpaid internship, though MNA interns may arrange credit through their college or university program. Internships last for the entire semester, and schedules are flexible.
- Communicating with MNA membership and other audiences as needed
- Developing promotional and educational print materials
- Creating original blog content
- Managing social media profiles, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Writing and editing articles for Michigan Nature magazine
- Developing press releases
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Excellent written communication skills
- Working knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite - InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Familiarity with social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter
- An interest in, and appreciation for, nature and the environment
- Photography and video experience
Please email a resume and writing sample to Outreach & Communications Coordinator Jess Foxen at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can learn more about MNA by visiting www.michigannature.org. Questions? Call Jess at 517-580-3021.
The Michigan Nature Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.